|24 Hours of Morocco: Second victory for Vigouroux and the Trophy Truck.|
US-based French Eric Vigouroux and Co Alexandre Winocq overcame appalling weather conditions to record their second stage victory of the 24H of Morocco on Wednesday. Their number 14 Trophy Truck leads the rally into stage three tomorrow, 29 minutes and 8 seconds (3 laps) ahead of the chasing pack.
Vigouroux and Winocq were delayed setting off by an hour as a sand storm blew up just before the start of the race. Having slackened just enough to allow the race to start, the sand storm then began to intensify. In deteriorating conditions, the race director had little choice but to terminate the stage two hours early.
After just over four hours of racing, both had completed 14 laps of the 19,8 km course and, crucially, two laps more than the Team Lacom/ Caze behind them giving them their second stage win of the rally.
Having taken the chequered flag, Vigouroux talked about their race strategy. "From the start, it was complicated. Because of the sandstorm, you could not see the markers. In the first lap, we felt a little lonely at the front but during the next three, we tried to learn the circuit well. Then, once we were sure of the course and where the sand was difficult to traverse, we began to improve our lines and our lap times fell."
Once again the Open County M/TR tires proved faultless. Vigouroux concluded his summary of the race saying, "As for the tires, they were perfect. We decided to ride with an intermediate pressure, to be effective in the sand and to be sure we did not have to fear the stones."
At the halfway point, Eric Vigouroux and Alex Winocq continue to lead the 24 Hours Off Road of Morocco. Friday, they set off at 06:00 GMT on a 300 km liaison to Zagora, a journey of some five or six hours. On arrival, Vigouroux and Winocq face six more hours of racing around the 33 km special stage.
Overall Results Top 10 after Stage 2
01) Vigouroux/Winocq I Chevrolet Trophy Truck I 09:53:35 I 0 RD
02) Lacam/Caze I Caze Competition I 10:22:43 I +3 RD
03) Lansac/Davoy I Cherolet Tropy Truck I 10:25:54 I +4 RD
04) Clerget/Sabatier I Predator X1820 I 10:24:38 I +5 RD
05) Charbonnier/Pinchedez I Predator X1820 I 10:34:11 +5 RD
06) Rebout/Reboux I Buggy Equipe Raid I 10:11:12 I +6 RD
07) Adam/Puigrenier I Predator X1817 I 08:54:08 I +8 RD
08) Arnal/Ascola I Mitsubishi Pajero I 09:55:59 I +8 RD
09) Levine/Bance I Toyota Land Cruiser I 10:52:18 I +8 RD
10) Jugand/Roulet I Isuzu Merzouga I 10:25:01 I +9 RD
2010/05/27 | 11:17 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/URTUBIA