|Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge: 1-2-3 for the X-raid Minis, 4-5-6 for the Toyotas.|
Russian Vladimir Vasilyev (X-raid Mini All4 Racing) moved within sight of his first victory in the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" on Wednesday. Partnered by Konstantin Zhilstov, the Russian recorded the second fastest time on the spectacular 239 km Nissan Patrol Special Stage 4 to open up a lead of 35:36 minutes from Poland’s Adam Malysz and Rafal Marton in an Overdrive Toyota Hilux.
Vasilyev reached the end of the Nissan Patrol stage to say: "It was a really beautiful stage, but hard with some really high and steep dunes to climb. This year it is more difficult because the ground is hard after the rains."
The 239 km stage was won the first time by the Kazakhstan-crew of Aidyn Rakhimbayev and Anton Nikolaev, first time starting with a Mini All4 Racing in 03:36:39 hours, only 49 seconds in front of Vasilyev and 1:23 minutes in front of Dutch Erik van Loon - so 1-2-3 for the German X-raid cars.
They were followed by former Ski-champion Adam Malysz from Poland (+9:51), Brazilian Reinaldo Varela (+10:19) and Kazakh Bauyrzhan Issabayev (+12:37), all driving an Overdrive Toyota Hilux.
Lying second overnight, the Polish crew of Marek Dabrowski and Jacek Czachor saw their hopes of at least a podium finish shattered when their Toyota Hilux rolled on the stage, with the car landing on its wheels and reaching the finish well down the field.
Dabrowski’s misfortune saw Dutchman Eric Van Loon climb to third in his Mini, with the UAE’s evergreen Yahya Al Helei rising to fourth place in his new Nissan Pick Up, despite having to reduce his speed because of overheating.
"I drove with a flat tyre for the last 30 km yesterday and damaged the head gasket. We changed it overnight and I was worried that the car might overheat today," reported Al Helei. "Everything was ok up to the second passage control but then the temperature started going up so I had to reduce my speed. I just wanted to win the Nissan prize for the fastest on this stage."
Top 10 stage results CARS SS 04 Wednesday
01) Rakhimbayev/Nikolaev (KZ/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 03:36:39 I 00:00:00
02) Vasilyev/Zhiltsov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 03:37:28 I 00:00:49
03) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 03:38:02 I 00:01:23
04) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:46:30 I 00:09:51
05) Varela/Gugelmin (BR/BR) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:46:58 I 00:10:19
06) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:49:16 I 00:12:37
07) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 03:52:29 I 00:15:50
08) Al Helei/Alkendi (UAE/UAE) I Nisan T1 I 03:55:41 I 00:19:02
09) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 03:58:10 I 00:21:31
10) Corbett/Mohr (RSA/RSA) I Century Buggy I 04:18:33 I 00:41:54
Top 10 overall results CARS SS 04 Wednesday
01) Vasilyev/Zhilstov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 14:35:38 I 00:00:00
02) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 15:11:14 I 00:35:36
03) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 15:41:14 I 01:05:36
04) Al Helei/Alkendi (AR/AR) I Nissan Pickup Proto I 15:45:07 I 01:09:29
05) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 15:59:40 I 01:24:02
06) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 16:27:37 I 01:51:59
07) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 16:30:05 I 01:54:27
08) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Toyota Overdrive I 16:53:37 I 02:17:59
09) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 17:33:28 I 02:57:50
10) Varela/Gugelmin (BR/BR) I Overdrive Toyota I 17:58:50 I 03:23:12
2014/04/10 | 10:14 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/ADDC