|Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge: An event of mixed emotions for the X-raid crews|
For the X-raid- and Monster Energy X-raid Team, the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" is an event of mixed emotions, so far. With Russia’s Vladimir Vasilyev, German Stephan Schott and Dutch Erik van Loon, three Mini All4 Racing drivers hold top-10 positions, with two stages contested. The other pairings, however, struggled due to the most different problems.
In stage two, Vasilyev and his Russian co-driver Konstantin Zhiltsov took their Mini to the lead in the overall standings. Having finished fourth on day one, they won the second stage to also take the overall lead. Meanwhile, German pairing Stephan Schott / Andreas Schulz delivered in consistent style on both days by finishing 10th and sixth respectively and currently hold sixth position in the overall standings.
For Nani Roma and his French co-driver Michel Périn, however, the first days of the event represented a true emotional rollercoaster. The pairing and their Mini won the first stage with a lead of more than 11 minutes but today, Roma had to get behind the wheel with stomach problems. The Spaniard had to stop several times to take breaks and in the end, he had to settle for having finished 21st.
Dutch pairing Eric van Loon / Wouter Rosegaar had to cope with a similar fate. Following the really fine third place on Sunday, a dose of bad luck hit them today. Their accelerator cable broke during an impact and it took some time to identify the problem. Therefore, securing a better position than 26th proved to be impossible for them, in stage two.
Meanwhile, Kazakh Aidyn Rakhimbayev and his Russian navigator Anton Nikolaev took their Mini to 31st and ninth positions respectively, in the first two stages of the event.
"Vladimir delivered in great style and is the deserved leader," said Team Manager Sven Quandt. "Nani unfortunately felt bad today, and consequently, it was an extremely tough day for him. But we hope that he will be able to really go for it again, in the final stages. And ‘Schotti’ once again demonstrates that Abu Dhabi suits him particularly well."
Top 10 stage results CARS SS 02 Monday
01) Vasilyev/Zhiltsov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 03:46:48 I 00:00:00
02) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:53:59 I 00:07:11
03) Al Helei/Alkendi (UAE/UAE) I Nisan T1 I 03:56:34 I 00:09:46
04) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:57:15 I 00:10:27
05) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 03:59:19 I 00:12:31
06) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 04:05:21 I 00:18:33
07) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Overdrive Toyota I 04:08:27 I 00:21:39
08) Corbett/Mohr (RSA/RSA) I Century Buggy I 04:13:24 I 00:26:36
09) Rakhimbayev/Nikolaev (KZ/KZ) I X-raid Mini I 04:13:40 I 00:26:52
10) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 04:17:38 I 00:30:50
Top 10 overall results CARS SS 02 Monday
01) Vasilyev/Zhilstov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 07:32:12 I 00:00:00
02) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 07:32:56 I 00:00:44
03) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 07:53:34 I 00:21:22
04) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 08:00:03 I 00:27:51
05) Al Helei/Alkendi (AR/AR) I Nissan Pickup Proto I 08:09:20 I 00:37:08
06) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 08:29:59 I 00:57:47
07) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 08:59:00 I 01:26:48
08) Berezovskiy/Falkov (KZ/KZ) I Nissan Patrol T2 I 09:02:09 I 01:29:57
09) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 09:04:14 I 01:32:02
10) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Toyota Overdrive I 09:11:28 I 01:39:16
2014/04/07 | 20:04 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/QUANDT