|Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge: Joan Barreda wins SS4, Marc Coma new leader.|
Spanish Joan Barreda (Team HRC Honda) rode a superb fourth stage of the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" on Wednesday, winning the special and remaining alone up front from the start to the finishing-line in Qasr Al Sarab in 03:37:20 hours, only 1:20 mins in front of Dakar-winner Marc Coma (KTM) and Portugal´s Paulo Goncalves (Honda, +2:29).
In the overall rankings, KTM´s Marc Coma is the new leader with 14:12:10 hours, 1:31 minutes in front of Paulo Goncalves and 5:49 mins before Joan Barreda. We actually didn´t know what happened to Sam Sunderland (KTM) who changed the overall leadership every day with Marc Coma, but actually he is not listed.
On the other hand today we can see some surprises: The British "youngster" (we reported yesterday) Ollie Lloyd (Speedbrain) reached the Top 10 with 8th position, also Polish Jakub Piatek on place 10.
Today the start was different than usual, with riders setting off in groups of fifteen at the same time. Barreda got off to a flying start on the Honda CRF450 Rally, and upped the pace after the refuelling.
"Today was a really good day," the Spaniard said. "After the first day without a very good feeling and some problems, suddenly we found a good pace and a good rhythm. The last two or three days we’ve found a really good speed, always pushing. We have another victory. I know that it is not easy to win this rally, but tomorrow we will be giving it our all."
Paulo Gonçalves kept up a cracking rhythm throughout most of the day, taking care not to lose Barreda and Coma, although a slight error on one of the dunes saw him lose a little time. In spite of this, the reigning world champion finished in third and climbs a place in the overall standings, just one and a half minutes behind Marc Coma as the race heads into its final stage.
"Before the refuelling we were all riding together at a slower speed," reported Goncalves. "After refuelling we speeded up. A few kilometers from the end as me, Joan and Marc were together, I got a bit caught up in one of the dunes. But tomorrow we have chance to win the race and we will try. I hope it all goes well."
Team HRC’s third rider Hélder Rodrigues, put in a comfortable ride to finish fifth. The Portuguese rider who has put Monday’s mishap behind him moves up to seventh place in the overall standings.
"It was a motocross day in the desert today," said Rodrigues. "There was a MX type of start then a lot of open desert. The job today was for Paulo to do his best to win the race. Also Joan had a good stage. I tried to do my best to help the team rather than trying to win. I think tomorrow Paulo has a chance to win. Marc starts from behind. I’ll start behind Paulo. That will be my aim tomorrow."
Top 10 stage results BIKES SS 04 Wednesday
01) Barreda, Joan (ES) I Honda I 03:37:20 I 00:00:00
02) Coma, Marc (ES) I KTM I 03:38:40 I 00:01:20
03) Goncalves, Paulo (PT) I Honda I 03:39:49 I 00:02:29
04) Viladoms, Jordi (ES) I KTM I 03:40:42 I 00:03:22
05) Rodrigues, Helder (PT) I Honda I 03:41:51 I 00:04:31
06) Albalooshi, Mohammed (UAE) I KTM I 03:43:32 I 00:06:12
07) Stanovnik, Miran (SLO) I KTM I 03:46:53 I 00:09:33
08) Lloyd, Oliver (UK) I Speedbrain I 04:06:25 I 00:29:05
09) Berglund, Thomas (S) I Husaberg I 04:07:36
10) Piatek, Jakub (PL) I KTM I 04:16:58 I 00:39:38
Top 10 overall results BIKES SS 04 Wednesday
01) Coma, Marc (ES) I KTM I 14:12:10 I 00:00:30
02) Goncalves, Paulo (PT) I Honda I 14:13:41 I 00:01:31
03) Barreda, Joan (ES) I Honda I 14:17:59 I 00:05:49
04) Viladoms, Jordi (ES) I KTM I 14:45:01 I 00:32:51
05) Stanovnik, Miran (SLO) I KTM I 15:40:34 I 01:28:24
06) Albalooshi, Mohammed (UAE) I KTM I 15:43:11 I 01:31:01
07) Rodrigues, Helder (PT) I Honda I 16:10:53 I 01:58:43
08) Lloyd, Oliver (UK) I Speedbrain I 16:50:27 I 02:38:17
09) CS, Santosh (IND) I KTM I 16:57:47 I 02:45:37
10) Piatek, Jakub (PL) I KTM I 16:58:48 I 02:46:38
2014/04/09 | 13:54 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/ADDC