|Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge: Vasilyev/Zhiltsov - with "support" of Schlesser|
Before the start, Russian X-raid Mini customer Vladimir Vasilyev hoped to be on the podium at the end of the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" 2014.
Actually it looks like that he and his experienced navigator Konstatin Zhiltsov were reaching their goal, leading the overall rankings in the cars with 10:58:10 hours, 9:48 minutes in front of Marek Dabrowski and 26:34 mins before Adam Malysz, both from Poland and both driving an Overdrive Toyota Hilux. But we all know: The race is not over yet.
Tuesday was a long and hot day, full of emotions for Vasilyev and Zhiltsov, inspired by the landscape and the big dunes, as both told. "We are very happy with our result. We are not driving 100 %, maybe 90-95 % because we don´t want to risk too much" said Vladimir Vasilyev after the third stage.
"We become more and more familiar with the specifics of sand and dunes and on SS03 we found our ideal pace. Today we saw very beautiful dunes, passed some dry salty areas and could speed up to 180 km/h there."
Also Konstantin Zhiltsov was impressed of Tuesday´s landscape. As he reported, the dunes were sometimes unpleasant, oblique, turning, complex - it was easy to get stuck and not always easy to find the right path.
"In the end of the stage and after the service point we had some places with very high dunes, like a five-level building with some dangerous ridges and deep wholes. We had to circle sometimes not to get stuck. But we found the optimal tyre presssure, optimum speed and the car was running well - this allowed us to ride comfortably."
Zhiltsov is very well experienced in navigating through the dunes. No wonder, for a long time he was navigating "Le Patron" Jean-Louis Schlesser from France, two-times Dakar-winner, Silk-Way-Winner, multiple Africa Eco Race and..and..and -winner. Today Zhiltsov told, that Schlesser is calling every day, asking how it´s going on: "Thanks to him for that."
Top 10 stage results CARS SS 03 Tuesday
01) Vasilyev/Zhiltsov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 03:25:58 I 00:00:00
02) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:31:10 I 00:05:12
03) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:35:02 I 00:09:04
04) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 03:37:12 I 00:11:14
05) Al Helei/Alkendi (UAE/UAE) I Nisan T1 I 03:40:06 I 00:14:08
06) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 03:43:01 I 00:17:03
07) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 03:45:21 I 00:19:23
08) Rakhimbayev/Nikolaev (KZ/KZ) I X-raid Mini I 03:46:31 I 00:20:33
09) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:52:53 I 00:26:55
10) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 03:54:20 I 00:28:22
Top 10 overall results CARS SS 03 Tuesday
01) Vasilyev/Zhilstov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 10:58:10 I 00:00:00
02) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 11:07:58 I 00:09:48
03) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 11:24:44 I 00:26:34
04) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 11:43:04 I 00:44:54
05) Al Helei/Alkendi (AR/AR) I Nissan Pickup Proto I 11:49:26 I 00:51:16
06) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 12:07:11 I 01:09:01
07) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 12:49:35 I 01:51:25
08) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 12:53:20 I 01:55:10
09) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Toyota Overdrive I 13:04:21 I 02:06:11
10) Shagirov/Moroz (KZ/KZ) I Toyota Overdrive I 13:40:46 I 02:42:36
2014/04/09 | 02:15 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/VRT