|Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge: X-raid´s Vladimir Vasilyev takes the lead in cars|
Russian Vladimir Vasilyev and his navigator Konstantin Zhiltsov (X-raid Mini All4 Racing) grabbed a slender lead in the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" after Monday´s SS02 after defending drivers’ champion Nani Roma of Spain plunged from contention following a bout of motion sickness.
The Russians were fastest on the 269 km ADNOC Special and completed it holding a 44 seconds advantage over the Polish crew of Marek Dabrowski and Jacek Czachor in a Toyota Overdrive Hilux.
"It was really ok today, despite the dunes being difficult with so many drops that we had to go slower," said Vasilyev after the stage - he is attempting to become the second Russian driver to find victory in the Desert Challenge following Leonid Novitskiy in 2010.
Overnight leader Roma, with French co-driver Michel Perin, saw his hopes of back-to-back wins disappear when he fell ill early in the stage, requiring medical attention before continuing and ending the day almost three hours off the pace in his X-raid Mini.
Bitterly disappointed at the end of the leg, Roma said: "It wasn't a good day for me. I just started to get sick from the motion of the dunes before the first passage control and had to stop and get some medical assistance. The doctor gave me a few pills, then I was ok. I have this problem in the Desert Challenge a lot, and at least the rally raid team is still in a good position. I will just keep on going for the last three legs."
Lying third in the cars category at the end of the leg was Poland’s Adam Malysz in a Toyota Overdrive Hilux, with Czech driver Miroslav Zapletal fourth in a Hummer H3 Proto followed by the UAE’s Yahya Al Helei who was third fastest on the day in his new Nissan Pickup.
"I drove hard today passing seven or so cars, but I hit a ridge hard so my suspension is not good and after that I had to drive slower," UAE´s Al Helei said after the stage. "This year it is not our rally. The sand is just too hard for us because of the rain. If it was soft we would have a better chance. You can even drive with 2wd out there. Our springs are too soft for the sand. Maybe if we had harder springs we would have a better chance."
Top 10 stage results CARS SS 02 Monday
01) Vasilyev/Zhiltsov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 03:46:48 I 00:00:00
02) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:53:59 I 00:07:11
03) Al Helei/Alkendi (UAE/UAE) I Nisan T1 I 03:56:34 I 00:09:46
04) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 03:57:15 I 00:10:27
05) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 03:59:19 I 00:12:31
06) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 04:05:21 I 00:18:33
07) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Overdrive Toyota I 04:08:27 I 00:21:39
08) Corbett/Mohr (RSA/RSA) I Century Buggy I 04:13:24 I 00:26:36
09) Rakhimbayev/Nikolaev (KZ/KZ) I X-raid Mini I 04:13:40 I 00:26:52
10) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 04:17:38 I 00:30:50
Top 10 overall results CARS SS 02 Monday
01) Vasilyev/Zhilstov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 07:32:12 I 00:00:00
02) Dabrowski/Czachor (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 07:32:56 I 00:00:44
03) Malysz/Marton (PL/PL) I Toyota Overdrive I 07:53:34 I 00:21:22
04) Zapletal/Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Proto I 08:00:03 I 00:27:51
05) Al Helei/Alkendi (AR/AR) I Nissan Pickup Proto I 08:09:20 I 00:37:08
06) Schott/Schulz (D/D) I X-raid Mini I 08:29:59 I 00:57:47
07) Grigorov/Meshcheryakov (RUS/RUS) I Nissan I 08:59:00 I 01:26:48
08) Berezovskiy/Falkov (KZ/KZ) I Nissan Patrol T2 I 09:02:09 I 01:29:57
09) Van Loon/Rosegaar (NL/NL) I X-raid Mini I 09:04:14 I 01:32:02
10) Issabayev/Demyanenko (KZ/RUS) I Toyota Overdrive I 09:11:28 I 01:39:16
2014/04/07 | 19:10 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/ADDC