|Dakar Rally 2014: Very bad start for Robby Gordon and his HST Gordini car.|
Despite being very prepared for this year's Dakar Rally, the race did not begin as well as Robby Gordon´s Speed Energy / Toyo Tires team had hoped. US-American Robby Gordon for the second straight year would be taken by surprise on the opening stage as the team encountered multiple issues.
Gordon talked about his misfortune shortly after returning the HST Gordini into the bivouac. "I don't know what happened. Everything went smoothly when we took things easy on the link section, but from the moment we started the special, we had vapor lock problems and we had to stop. Then, all the other fluids started to overheat, so we had to stop at least five or six times..."
"At the end, we had stopped for the umpteenth time when competitor #390 offered to tow us to the end of the special. Honestly, it's strange; I don't know why this happened. We'll have a look at it in the bivouac, although it's disappointing to lose two or three hours on the very first day of racing."
Gordon trails leader Carlos Sousa (Great Wall Haval) of Portugal by 2 hours and 34 minutes overall, which is not the way Gordon and the team wanted to start the Rally. The Speed Team and Gordon know that they cannot make any more mistakes if they want any chance of a top-10 finish when the Dakar Rally ends in Valparaiso, Chile.
Gordon will have an opportunity to chip away at that deficit in Monday’s second stage which at 365 kilometers is much longer than the opening 180-kilometer stage. Monday’s special will take competitors into a high-speed test through Argentina’s grey sand dunes. "The HST Gordini was designed with high speeds in mind and Gordon and navigator Kellon Walch will need to quickly make it through the technical aspects of Nihuil’s dunes to get back into the race," the team reported.
Top 10 Results SS01 Rosario - San Luis
01) Sousa / Ramalho (PT/PT) I Great Wall Haval I 02:20:36 I 00:00:00
02) Terranova / Fiuza (ARG/PT) I X-raid Mini I 02:20:47 I 00:00:11
03) Al Attiyah / Cruz (QT/ES) I X-raid Mini I 02:21:23 I 00:00:47
04) Roma / Perin (ES/F) I X-raid Mini I 02:21:51 I 00:01:15
05) Sainz / Gottschalk (ES/D) I SMG Gache Buggy I 02:24:39 I 00:04:03
06) Peterhansel / Cottret (F/F) I X-raid Mini I 02:24:57 I 00:04:21
07) Holowczyc / Zhiltsov (PL/RUS) I X-raid Mini I 02:24:57 I 00:04:21
08) Lavieille / Garcin (F/F) I Great Wall Haval I 02:26:18 I 00:05:42
09) Poulter / Howie (RSA/RSA) I Toyota Hilux I 02:26:33 I 00:05:57
10) Van Loon / Rosegaar (NL/NL) I Ford HRX Proto I 02:26:38 I 00:06:02
2014/01/06 | 19:39 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/GORDON