|SA-Dakar Rally: Al Attiyah rumours - good WRC start instead of bad Dakar?|
The "love" between the Qatari and Dakar title holder Nasser Al Attiyah and Robby Gordon seems to has gone - told different stories in the last camp before Peru. Al Attiyah, who had to withdrew from the Rally on Tuesday due to technical problems, said that he "would never race again with this car".
Yesterday the Dakar-organiser ASO reported about Gordon´s eventually disqualification because of eventual false or manipulated air-intakes. Gordon made a official protest, so he could finish the rally. What happened behind the scenes? A reason for Al Attiyah?
For Robby Gordon the situation is different. "The problem is not the Hummer's, but al-Attiyah's," he said to the news agengy DPA. He also told, that the Qatari had pushed the car too far - and had been waiting to leave the competition for days.
Other speculations are harder. 2012 Nasser Al Attiyah is to start in the WRC World Rally Championship as factory driver for Citroen - and the debut is the "Rally Monte Carlo" on January 18th.
"There is speculation that he was upset about missing the first stage of that event, in Monte Carlo, and that he only planned to stay in the Dakar Rally until the end if he had a chance to defend the title he won last year" the news agency DPA reported.
2012/01/12 | 16:08 CET | ARTICLE: MR/SY/HS