|Sealine Rally Qatar: Al Attiyah, Holowczyc and Vasilyev first winner in the cars|
Twenty-two cars, three quads and 15 motorcycles were joined by four cars running in a national event at the rear of the field for the start of the opening 164.18 km selective section of the "Sealine Rally Qatar", near Umm Al-Mawaga, to the west of Doha.
Very hot conditions greeted the riders to the start of the opening section, where passage controls were positioned at the 28.82 km and 97.80 km points en route to a finish near Sealine to the south of the capital. The varied stage offered tricky navigation and a series of sand dunes and dry lake crossings near the finish.
In the cars, Nasser Al-Attiyah was the class of the car field in his X-raid Mini All4 Racing. The 2012 winner began the day from fourth on the road and survived having to change a flat tyre after the second passage control to set a winning time of 01:34:57. The Qatari and his French navigator Matthieu Baumel take a lead of 02:44 minutes over Mini team-mates Krzysztof Holowczyc and Andreas Schulz into the second stage on Tuesday.
"It was going well, no problems and then we had a flat tyre and had to stop and change it," said Al-Attiyah. "It was only a short stage but the navigation was very tricky. Matthieu did a great job."
FIA World Cup leader Vladimir Vasilyev led the cars into action but Al-Attiyah stormed through from fourth on the road and reached PC1 01:02 minutes quicker than Holowczyc. Reinaldo Varela from Brazil (Toyota Overdsrive) was third in the first of the four Toyotas.
Al-Attiyah extended his virtual stage lead to 03:02 mins at the second passage control over Holowczyz and there was a frantic tussle for third between Marek Dabrowski, Varela and Vladimir Vasilyev.
The Qatari held on to seal the stage win by a margin of 2min 44sec, despite a flat tyre. Holowczyc was second and Vasilyev pipped Yazeed Al-Rajhi to third after Dabrowski rolled and lost time near the finish, slipping from third to eighth overall.
Tomorrow (Tuesday), competitors tackle a 396.46km loop stage through the Qatar desert, with the bikes leading the way in what promises to be a cooler and even more demanding challenge, starting at the earlier time of 07.00hrs. The event finishes at Sealine on Friday afternoon.
CARS Results Sealine Qatar Top 10 SS01 Monday
01) Al Attiyah / Baumel (QT/F) I X-raid Mini All4 I 01:29:57 I 00:00:00
02) Holowczyc / Schulz (PL/D) I X-raid Mini All4 I 01:32:41 I 00:02:44
03) Vasilyev / Zhiltsov (RUS/RUS) I X-raid Mini All4 I 01:39:21 I 00:09:24
04) Al Rajhi / Gottschalk (KSA/D) I Overdrive Toyota I 01:41:31 I 00:11:34
05) Malysz / Marton (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 01:41:41 I 00:11:44
06) Zapletal / Marton (CZ/PL) I Hummer H3 Evo I 01:52:28 I 00:22:31
07) Sazonov / Sakhimov (KZH/KZH) I Hummer H3 Evo I 01:54:26 I 00:24:29
08) Dabrowski / Czachor (PL/PL) I Overdrive Toyota I 01:55:50 I 00:25:53
09) Cherednikov / Tsyro (KZH/UKR) I Overdrive Toyota I 02:04:30 I 00:34:33
10) Kaczmarski / Palmeiro (PL/PT) I X-raid Mini All4 I 02:05:43 I 00:35:46
2014/04/21 | 15:48 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/PERKINS