|Sealine Rally Qatar: Marc Coma - "Terrain completely different to Abu Dhabi"|
KTM factory rider and multi Dakar winner Marc Coma launched his bid for another victory in the "Sealine Rally" in Qatar on Monday, finishing just 1:02 minutes behind leader and fellow Spaniard Joan Barreda (Honda HRC).
"I'm happy, it has been a positive first step," that the Spaniard after the stage. "The terrain is completely different to Abu Dhabi and I decided to take it a bit easy because I did not yet have the feeling for it here. The key to a good rally in Qatar is to not make any mistakes because the navigation is complicated. The terrain gives the impression of being easy but it is not. It is important to be mentally prepared and to have a good strategy."
Coma’s factory teammates Jordi Viladoms, Sam Sunderland and Ruben Faria finished third, seventh and eighth on the relatively short opening day and it was up to Sunderland and Faria to open the track because they are yet to score points in the 2014 world championship. Sunderland started in the "Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge" but had to retire. Faria of Portugal is competing in his first event of the 2014 series.
Stefan Huber, KTM factory team coordinator: "The first stage was only short but very difficult navigation with lots of parallel tracks to negotiate. It was up to Sam and Ruben to open the track on the first day and they lost a bit of time with the navigation. Marc did a good job today and all our riders are in good shape."
Riders competed over a total distance of 230.86 km, 164.18 km of which was timed special. The stage started at the Losail racing circuit and ending at the Sealine bivouac. The factory team riders are competing on the 2014 edition of the KTM 450 Rally bike on which Coma won his fourth personal Dakar title in January, and secured KTM’s 13th Dakar victory.
BIKES / QUADS Results Sealine Qatar Top 10 SS01 Monday
01) Barreda, Joan (ES) I Honda CRF 450 01:42:31 I 00:00:00
02) Coma, Marc (ES) I KTM 450 I 01:43:33 I 00:01:02
03) Viladoms, Jordi (ES) I KTM 450 I 01:47:43 I 00:05:04
04) Al-Balooshi, Mohammed (UAE) I KTM 450 I 01:49:34 I 00:07:03
05) Rodrigues, Helder (PT) I Honda CRF 450 I 01:51:55 I 00:09:24
06) Goncalves, Paolo (PT) I Honda CRF 450 I 01:54:01 I 00:11:30
07) Sunderland, Sam (GB) I KTM 450 I 01:59:34 I 00:17:03
08) Faria, Ruben (PT) I KTM 450 I 02:01:43 I 00:19:12
09) Sonik, Rafal (PL) I Honda TRX 700 I 02:13:48 I 00:31:17
10) Abu Issa, Mohammed (QT( I Honda TRX 680 I 02:15:50 I 00:33:19
2014/04/21 | 17:59 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/KTM