|Sealine Rally Qatar: Overdrive Toyotas hold third, fourth and sixth place|
Overdrive Racing’s three Toyota Hiluxes held a fine third, fourth and sixth overall after two demanding selective sections of the Sealine Cross-Country Rally, the second round of the 2013 FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, which finishes in the southern Qatari deserts on Friday afternoon (April 26th).
Poland’s Martin Kaczmarski and Bartlomiej Boba had been the stars of the Belgian team’s challenge over the second day and the second fastest time behind overall leader Jean-Louis Schlesser had catapulted the Toyota duo into third position, despite the Pole incurring a three-minute penalty for a minor speeding violation at the end of day one.
The Venezuelan pairing of Nunzio Coffaro and Daniel Meneses were breathing down their team-mate’s necks in fourth position, a mere 39 seconds behind the Poles in their Toyota, which has support from Venezuelan Tourism, the Ministry of Sport and PDVSA.
Kazakhstan driver Aidyn Rakhimbayev and Russian co-driver Vladimir Demiyanenko are running with Overdrive Racing under the Team Astana banner and they held sixth position at the end of the second day. But that could have been so much better for the relatively inexperienced crew had they not been awarded a 30-minute time penalty for missing a crucial route waypoint on the opening selective section on Tuesday. This dropped the pair from a potential third overall to eighth, although they recovered on day two to hold sixth.
The Brazilian duo of Reinaldo Varela and Gustavo Gugelmin started superbly in the fourth Overdrive car and were lying third overall shortly before they suffered a heavy frontal impact with a treacherous sand dune near the finish of the opening 408km selective section on Tuesday.
Medical staff treated the pair at the scene after the car fell over a sharp dune. Both Varela and Gugelmin suffered compression fractures to their vertebrae and were detained in hospital in Doha for medical treatment.
“It has been a good start for us with the three cars in the top six, but it is obviously a pity about Reinaldo and Gustavo,” said Overdrive team manager Jean-Marc Fortin. “They are in good hands and the medical crew have been great. Martin, Nunzio and Aidyn have put in a solid start and we are looking to consolidate or even improve their positions over the next two stages.”
Overdrive Racing is receiving extensive support from Abdullah Abdulghani & Bros., the sole local distributor of Toyota and Lexus cars, for its challenge for honours in the Sealine Cross-Country Rally.
Tomorrow (Thursday) teams tackle the third 400+ kilometre special stage in as many days. The demanding stage starts 3.93km from the Sealine bivouac, runs for 407.10km and finishes 1.13km from the overnight halt.
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar CARS
01. Schlesser (FRA)/ Zhiltstov (RUS) | Schlesser Original | 04:28:12
02. Kaczmarski (POL)/ Boba (POL) | Toyota Hilux | 04:37:04
03. Coffaro (VEN)/ Meneses (VEN) | Toyota Hilux | 04:39:02
04. Rakhimbayev (KAZ)/ Demiyaneko (RUS) | Toyota Hilux | 04:40:42
05. apletal (CZE)/ Marton (POL) | Hummer H3 Evo | 04:45:48
06. Holowczyc (POL)/ Schulz (DEU) | Mini All4 Racing | 04:47:02
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar BIKES
01. Francesco Lopez (CHL) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:46:23
02. Jakub Przygonski (POL) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:48:02
03. Pal-Anders Ullevalseter (NOR) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:50:08
04. Paulo Gonçalves (PRT) | Speedbrain 450 | 04:52:01
05. Marc Coma (ESP) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:53:58
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar QUADS
01. Obaid Al-Kitbe (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:20:49
02. Rafal Sonik (POL) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:55:14
03. Mohammed Al-Shamsi (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:56:49
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar CARS
01. Schlesser (FRA)/ Zhiltstov (RUS) | Schlesser Original | 08:48:35
02. Holowczyc (POL)/ Schulz (DEU) | Mini All4 Racing | 09:24:09
03. Kaczmarski (POL)/ Boba (POL) | Toyota Hilux | 09:57min 37
04. Coffaro (VEN)/ Meneses (VEN) | Toyota Hilux | 09:58:16
05. Zapletal (CZE)/ Marton (POL) | Hummer H3 Evo | 10:04:49
06. Rakhimbayev (KAZ)/ Demiyaneko (RUS) | Toyota Hilux | 10:19:01
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar BIKES
01. Marc Coma (ESP) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:44
02. Paulo Gonçalves (PRT) | Speedbrain 450 Rally | 09:52:47
03. Jakub Przygonski (POL) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:50
04. Pal-Anders Ullevalseter (NOR) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:58
05. Francesco Lopez (CHL) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:57:10
06. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL) | Honda CRE F 500 | 10:49:08
7. Khalid Khamis Ozair (UAE) | Honda CRF 450 | 11:07:56
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar QUADS
01. Rafal Sonik (POL) | Honda TRX 700 | 11hr 50:22
02. Obaid Al-Kitbe (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 13:13:03
03. Pablo Copetti (ARG) | Yamaha Raptor 700 | 13:59:00
04. Mohammed Al-Shamsi (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 14:14:03
05. Mohammed Abu Issa (QAT) | Yamaha Raptor 700 | 14:21:29
2013/04/24 | 19:49 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/PERKINS