Welcome to the marathonrally.com newssection. Here you can find the article you selected. For a full selection of news please click on "NEWS & LIVEREPORTS", for older articles use the search function in top of the right navigation.
|Sealine Rally Qatar: Rally ends abruptly for local-hero Nasser Al Attiyah|
Nasser Al-Attiyah was forced to retire on the second stage of the Sealine Cross Country Rally after a stone punctured the oil filter of his V8 Buggy. The misfortunate incident ended Nasser and co-pilot Lucas Cruz's efforts to defend the title they won in the deserts of southern Qatar last year.
The second stage got off to a flying start for the Qatar Red Bull Rally Team duo with their V8 Buggy comfortably the quickest car on the course. Nasser had promised to attack after losing time on the opening stage and was soon making up precious minutes on the leading pack.
With over 400km of competitive track to contest everything was going to plan as Nasser and Lucas sped past second placed Krzysztof Holowczyc early in the day. After passing through the first checkpoint of the stage the V8 Buggy was soon on the tail of race leader Jean-Louis Schlesser. The Qatar Red Bull Rally Team pair were able to exert pressure on the Frenchman until mechanical problems put pay to their pursuit.
Whilst cruising along a section of loose gravel a stray stone flew up from under the wheels of Nasser's Buggy and punctured the vehicle's oil tank. Nasser and co-pilot Lucas were powerless to prevent their entire oil supply leaking out of the engine and were forced to call it a day.
With all of their hard work undone by irreparable damage the V8 Buggy was towed back to the bivouac where the Qatar Red Bull Rally Team will carry out a full investigation of the problem in the coming days.
Local hero Nasser was clearly disappointed by the premature end to his title defence in front of his home fans. However, the entire team remain determined to use this trip to Qatar to further the development of their V8 Buggy.
The Qatar Red Bull Rally Team will utilise their remaining days in the desert for testing as their long journey continues towards the 2014 Dakar Rally.
Nasser Al-Attiyah: "We didn't crash or collide with anything on the stage. It was a single stone that hit our oil filter and ended the race for us. We had no option but to stop because the Buggy had lost all of its oil."
"The problem came after we had made a very strong start to today's stage. We were showing our true speed and moving up through the pack. We had already picked up more than five minutes on the race leader at the first checkpoint of the stage."
"We now have the Qatar Red Bull Rally Team together for three more days and we will be using this time to carry on testing the Buggy. The development of our car is an ongoing project and now we will implement all of this fresh information during testing."
Lucas Cruz (Nasser's co-pilot): "It was so unfortunate that such a small stone could create such a big problem for us. We were forced to stop because the stone made a direct hit with our oil filter and all of the oil in the engine leaked out of our car."
"We were leading the stage and feeling in a strong position to make up more time before we suffered the damage to our oil filter. We did what we could to repair the problem because we wanted to defend our title but eventually we had to admit to ourselves that the race was over for us."
"We can be very happy with the speed we have shown over these tough conditions and now we have some fresh ideas to improve the performance of our Buggy."
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar CARS
01. Schlesser (FRA)/ Zhiltstov (RUS) | Schlesser Original | 04:28:12
02. Kaczmarski (POL)/ Boba (POL) | Toyota Hilux | 04:37:04
03. Coffaro (VEN)/ Meneses (VEN) | Toyota Hilux | 04:39:02
04. Rakhimbayev (KAZ)/ Demiyaneko (RUS) | Toyota Hilux | 04:40:42
05. apletal (CZE)/ Marton (POL) | Hummer H3 Evo | 04:45:48
06. Holowczyc (POL)/ Schulz (DEU) | Mini All4 Racing | 04:47:02
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar BIKES
01. Francesco Lopez (CHL) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:46:23
02. Jakub Przygonski (POL) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:48:02
03. Pal-Anders Ullevalseter (NOR) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:50:08
04. Paulo Gonçalves (PRT) | Speedbrain 450 | 04:52:01
05. Marc Coma (ESP) | KTM 450 Rally | 04:53:58
Positions on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar QUADS
01. Obaid Al-Kitbe (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:20:49
02. Rafal Sonik (POL) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:55:14
03. Mohammed Al-Shamsi (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 05:56:49
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar CARS
01. Schlesser (FRA)/ Zhiltstov (RUS) | Schlesser Original | 08:48:35
02. Holowczyc (POL)/ Schulz (DEU) | Mini All4 Racing | 09:24:09
03. Kaczmarski (POL)/ Boba (POL) | Toyota Hilux | 09:57min 37
04. Coffaro (VEN)/ Meneses (VEN) | Toyota Hilux | 09:58:16
05. Zapletal (CZE)/ Marton (POL) | Hummer H3 Evo | 10:04:49
06. Rakhimbayev (KAZ)/ Demiyaneko (RUS) | Toyota Hilux | 10:19:01
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar BIKES
01. Marc Coma (ESP) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:44
02. Paulo Gonçalves (PRT) | Speedbrain 450 Rally | 09:52:47
03. Jakub Przygonski (POL) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:50
04. Pal-Anders Ullevalseter (NOR) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:52:58
05. Francesco Lopez (CHL) | KTM 450 Rally Replica | 09:57:10
06. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL) | Honda CRE F 500 | 10:49:08
7. Khalid Khamis Ozair (UAE) | Honda CRF 450 | 11:07:56
Overall after on SS2 – 413.19km Sealine Rally Qatar QUADS
01. Rafal Sonik (POL) | Honda TRX 700 | 11hr 50:22
02. Obaid Al-Kitbe (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 13:13:03
03. Pablo Copetti (ARG) | Yamaha Raptor 700 | 13:59:00
04. Mohammed Al-Shamsi (ARE) | Honda TRX 700 | 14:14:03
05. Mohammed Abu Issa (QAT) | Yamaha Raptor 700 | 14:21:29
2013/04/24 | 19:49 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/SROUR