|Sertoes Rally: Among bikes, Zé Hélio finishes first the stage ahead.|
On quads, the two times champion Robert Naji Nahas was the fastest this Wednesday. The hardest trails in Brazil, with many obstacles and difficulties along the way, have begun to be faced by drivers and navigators of the commemorative edition of 18th Sertões International Rally. On Wednesday (August 11), the 235 registered competitors were vying for the first leg of the race, which links Goiânia (GO) and Caldas Novas (GO) by a 203-kilometer route, 133 of them in a special test. With the beginning of the initial liaison at 7:55 a.m., bikes and quads opened the dispute.
As traditionally in Sertões Rally, the first stage does not show extreme hardship to competitors. Thus, they can test the equipment and make final tuning before facing the next nine stages. Even on a tranquil day, the rider Zé Helio (BMW 450) accelerated and closed this Wednesday stage ahead in the bikes category, with a time of 1h38min47s2. The list of the fastest in category still had Felipe Zanol (Honda 450), second, just over two minutes, and Spaniard Marc Coma (KTM 690), third with 1h41min48s3.
"The first day was good but not as easy as it seemed. The stage had much erosion, too much stones and a lot of navigation. The day was very nice rally," said Zé Hélio, who won the Sertões five times, and holds the record of victories in the race, along with the brothers André and Jean Azevedo.
"The first stage was very pretty and now the Sertões Rally has truly began. The day was a good warm up for the sequence of the race. It was a great special to test the bike. The equipment is fine and perfect," said Coma, three times world champion and two times winner of the Dakar.
Among the quads, the faster this Wednesday was Robert Naji Nahas (Prototype), repeating the first place he had in the Super Prime, held in Goiânia (GO) on the eve of the first stage. Twice winner of the Rally, and record-breaking titles in the category, the rider closed the day with 01h56min45s1, ahead of Carlo Collet (BRP 800), first runner-up, and Francinei Costa (Yamaha 700), third place.
"It was an excellent special for me to readjust to competitions. My last rally was the Sertões 2008. Then one not-so-hard day was good to regain intimacy with all the equipment we use. The special also helped me to get myself tuned. Now we must make some adjustments in the quad and get ready for tomorrow (Thursday), when the rally starts for real," said Nahas.
"This is my first year at Sertões International Rally. I'm not a favorite, but certainly I will give a hard time to the people who ride on the front." I came to ride and see the race. And today (Wednesday) was a good day warming to it," said Francinei Costa.
Top 10 stage 1 in Bikes Category (Overall)
01) Jose Hélio (BRA) I BMW 450 I 01:38:47
02) Felipe Zanol (BRA) I Honda 450 I 01:40:56
03) Marc Coma (ESP) I KTM 690 I 01:41:48
04) Ike Klaumann (BRA) I Yamaha 450 I 01:43:38
05) Deni Nascimento (BRA) I Prototype BR 450 I 01:44:28
06) Dário Souza (BRA) I Honda 450 I 01:45:20
07) Kuba Przygonski (POL) I KTM 690 I 01:46:14
08) David Casteu (FRA) I Sherco Rally 450 I 01:47:37
09) Tiago Fantozzi (BRA) I KTM 450 I 01:48:16
10) Juca Bala (BRA) I KTM 450 I 01:48:20
Top 10 stage 1 in Quads Category (Overall)
01) Robert Nahas (BRA) I Prototype I 01:56:45
02) Carlo Collet (BRA) I BRP 800 I 01:57:30
03) Francinei Costa (BRA) I Yamaha 700 I 01:57:55
04) Marcio Oliveira (BRA) I KTM 530 I 02:03:45
05) Heronaldo M. Segundo (BRA) I Yamaha 700 I 02:04:09
06) Rafal Sonik (POL) I Yamaha 900 I 02:07:11
07) Andre Suguita (BRA) I KTM 525 I 02:09:03
08) Rodolfo Brito (BRA) I Yamaha 700 I 02:11:08
09) Sérgio Klaumann (BRA) I Honda 700 I 02:12:20
10) Tom Rosa (BRA) I Yamaha 450 I 02:14:46
Here’s how Sertões International Rally will move on Thursday, August 12
2nd stage - Caldas Novas (GO) - Unaí (MG)
Initial Liaison: 39 km
Special Test: 214 km
Final Liaison: 192 km
Total: 445 km
2010/08/11 | 23:38 CET | Editor: MR/HS/DUNAS